A New Approach to Alcohol Treatment
Mike Russell is the co-founder and CEO of Monument, an online treatment platform for those looking to change their relationship with alcohol. In this episode, Change Healthcare’s Anuj Desai talks with Mike about how his own experience drove him to create an innovative, evidence-based approach to alcohol treatment. Mike tells Anuj how his company was born and how technology has enabled Monument’s online personalized alcohol treatment program and empowered its members to improve their health outcomes.
Today’s panel includes: Anuj Desai, Vice President Business Development, Change Healthcare; and Mike Russell, Co-founder and CEO, Monument.
Here’s what they chatted about:
- What motivated Mike to start an online treatment program for alcohol use disorder?
- Why alcohol use disorder isn’t limited to only those who drink alcohol frequently
- How Mike ultimately broke the pattern and how doing so led to another realization
- What makes Monument’s approach to alcohol treatment unique?
- How has COVID-19 affected alcohol use and the treatment landscape?
- How is Monument partnering with healthcare providers and payers to enhance support?
- What can employers do to help ensure employees feel comfortable getting the support they need?
- What advice would Mike give to those considering launching a startup in the healthcare space?
- Mike Russell’s LinkedIn profile
- Anuj Desai’s LinkedIn profile
- Choosing internet-based treatment for problematic alcohol use—why, when and how? Users’ experiences of treatment online
- Alcohol facts and statistics—NIH
- About Disulfiram
- When it comes to changing one’s relationship with alcohol, it’s important to address co-occurring mental health conditions and develop new coping mechanisms
- Technology has enabled effective virtual treatment options for those looking to change their relationship with alcohol
- Health plans have shown an interest in expanding mental health partnerships