MD Perspective: Reducing the Burden of Costly Secondary Reviews
Best practices for increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of secondary reviews.
The secondary review and P2P process is time-consuming, costly, and some may say overutilized. But there are ways to become more efficient.
Join Dr. Linda Everett, who has over 10 years of payer and provider utilization management experience, as she discusses best practices for effectively managing cases escalated for secondary review. Dr. Everett will also explain how tools such as medical review automation can reduce costly administrative burden and support evidence-based P2P conversations. She will also compare the utilization management approach of two hospital systems to understand the role that proactive observation status determinations, upfront clinical documentation, and automation play in cost containment, increased efficiency, and stronger payer-provider relationships.
- Identify process improvements to improve staff efficiency and workflow.
- Explore when it may make sense to self-deny.
- Examine the impact of strong, upfront documentation.
- Learn how automation can generate time savings.
- Reduce the quantity and improve the quality of peer- to-peer discussions.