COVID-19 lockdowns and the social isolation they can cause can have an outsized impact on the health of senior citizens and other vulnerable populations. Indeed, several studies associate social isolation and loneliness with increased mortality that's comparable to smoking 15 cigarettes a day.
Today's show features a conversation with Jeff Barkin, MD, associate medical director; Victoria Pham, DO, medical director, Clinical Development, Strategy, and Client Experience; Monique Yohanan, MD, MPH, senior medical director, Level of Care team, and director for Content Development; and Kelly Cavin, VP of Social Determinants of Health, all with Change Healthcare.
Our expert panel discusses what providers and health plans are doing now, and what more they can do, to mitigate the health effects of social isolation and improve other social determinants of health arising from the pandemic.
Here's what they talked about:
- The impact of social isolation on older adults
- How providers are increasing outreach to older patients
- How payers are connecting members with support services
- The rapidly expanding role of telemedicine
- A direct approach to addressing social determinants
- Mental health disorders post-pandemic: a forecast
- Jeff Barkin's bio
- Victoria Pham's bio
- Monique Yohanan's bio
- Kelly Cavin's bio
- Address Social Determinants of Health with Community Advocacy
- Eligibility & Enrollment with Member Engagement Support
- My Advocate Eligibility and Enrollment Solutions
- COVID-19 Updates and Resources