Gone is the traditional understanding of capacity management. Terri Epler sits down with Duncan Campbell to take an insider look at how COVID-19 upends the healthcare industry’s historical view of capacity management. They dissect how COVID-19 unexpectedly impacted hospital capacity and examine why capacity management is critical for efficient operations during every level of patient demand.
Terri Epler, RN, MSN, Product Consultant for Change Healthcare, leads the conversation with special guest Duncan Campbell, principal of Craigavon Enterprises. Duncan has spearheaded several healthcare turnaround and performance improvement initiatives throughout Canada, and is the former CFO of Vancouver Coastal Health.
Their conversation pulls back the curtain on several key topics:
- Capacity challenges facing providers daily
- Initial and ongoing impact of COVID-19 on patient flow and hospital capacity in the U.S. and Canada
- How and why capacity management broke down when the pandemic started
- Ways providers coped
- Which approaches worked and failed
- Lessons learned from this experience to guide better capacity management
- Why capacity management is critical at every level of demand
- Role of IT and technology to manage capacity
- Successful ways Change Healthcare customers navigate capacity management today
- Factors creating urgency to forecast capacity highs and lows
- Benefits of more accurately aligning demand to resources